Homemade Mayonnaise

Homemade mayonnaise made with raw eggs!

With backyard chickens comes an abundance of eggs, and thus I have sought to use them in whatever ways I can, including making my own mayonnaise. And before you may ask;

YES. I use raw eggs.

I have been making this for a number of years now and have never had a food-borne illness from it. However, the only eggs I use are fresh from my chickens. I would never use a store-bought egg, as I don't trust their freshness or quality.

I use a variety of oils. Extra virgin olive oil has a strong taste, so I mix it with neutral avocado oil, sunflower oil, or safflower oil for just a hint of flavor. Use whatever oil you like to use: canola and vegetable oils work fine too.

Speaking of oil - you will need a jug or bottle from which you can pour the oil in a slow and steady fine stream. I saved an empty mustard bottle in which I put the oil, put the cap on, then drizzle it while I mix.

I have found my stick blender with the whisk attachment to be the best way to make this because it enables me to add the oil in a slow and steady stream while mixing. I mix it in a heavy quart glass measuring jug sitting on a rubber jar-opener mat so it doesn't move around when the mixture thickens. If you have a blender jar with an opening in the lid, you might be able to use it. I found it difficult to scrape the mayonnaise out of the blades when it is thickened.

RECIPE:
yields about 2 cups

1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon of lemon juice (fresh or bottled) or white vinegar
1 teaspoon of prepared yellow mustard
1/4-3/4 teaspoon of salt (start with 1/4 and adjust to taste when it thickens)
1-1/2 cups oil of choice (I use 1/4 cup EVOO + 1-1/4 cup neutral oil)
Optional 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder or onion powder
Optional 1/2 teaspoon sugar
Optional 1 tablespoon of hot water or egg white to thin & whip

Place egg yolk, lemon juice or vinegar, mustard, 1/4 t salt, and garlic/onion powder in mixing bowl (or blender jar) and mix until creamy, light, and frothy, about 2-3 minutes. If it is not light and frothy, it will not emulsify properly when you add the oil. 


With blender running, start drizzling oil in a fine, steady stream. It will remain very liquid until about half the oil is added and then it will start to emulsify and thicken. Whisk/blend continually until all the oil has been added. Taste it and add more salt as desired. If you want to lighten it up a little, add 1 Tbsp hot tap water or egg white and whisk it until thoroughly whipped together. It may seem a little thin, but it will thicken up again when it is refrigerated.



IF the mixture fails to emulsify (stays liquid) DO NOT DESPAIR! And don't throw it out! In a clean bowl, start with another egg yolk & 1 tablespoon of lemon juice/vinegar - whisk until very frothy and slowly drizzle the failed mayonnaise mixture into it - it should thicken as you go. (I have done this up to a third egg yolk because I was rushing and didn't whip the initial mix enough.)

Store in a sealed jar in the refrigerator for up to three weeks.